Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Funny Guys

A few weeks ago, I saw Mike Burbiglia in SF. You may recognize his humor if you listen to This American Life. Here are some things he said:
"...that guy hates second halves of sentences."
"Do you ever ask someone for directions and know from the first sentence that you're not going to use those directions? You thought you knew nothing, but this person knows less than nothing. You're dealing in negative integers of information."
"[in high school], you'd call anything gay. You'd call Geometry gay, which is one of the gayer maths."

I love all the math references!

Last night, I saw David Sedaris in San Jose. He read some new stories and diary entries. I hope those diary entries are in a book at some point. Sedaris will be coming out with a new book in about a year, which is most excellent news. He had the audience in stitches, so get excited for the book release. Here are my favorite lines of his:
About his upcoming book: "Its a book of fables because my morals are weak."
"For no reason in particular and every reason in general."
"His family aside, when would he have the time [to be gay]?"
"Sometimes things happen and I don't know what to do with my face." This describes my life in a nutshell.

Brief update: Haven't been running in weeks because my life just won't let me. If there's one success for me right now, it's that my total "still to deal with email" count is down to I haven't forgotten about the October mix, but the new iTunes won't let me create playlists with songs I haven't bought yet. Which means it hasn't been as easy to remind myself of the songs I liked that month. Do they know they are killing their business? I am like free advertising?!?! Oh well...I'm still trying to find a work-around, so hopefully I'll have an October/November mix.

I'm going to see Jonathan Safran Foer on Thursday night before I catch a plane to NYC. JSF is my favorite author...if you haven't read Everything Is Illuminated or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I could not recommend them more highly. He has a new non-fiction book out called Eating Animals which apparently has turned Natalie Portman vegan.

Cross your fingers that there won't be a World Series parade for me to pout about while I'm in the Big Apple.

2 comments:

Bec said...

Fingers crossed!

Great quotes! I particularly like, "...when would I have the time?" I feel like I remember hearing him say that.

Also, ..."Not quite sure what to do with my face."

Here's the laughing!

Sharon said...

I hope Mike Bribiglia was funny-- we're going to see him on Friday. Yay for lots of laughing!