Sunday, November 8, 2009

For The Win!

Last week, I was frantically trying to find out more about Jonathan Safran Foer's new book. There was some hubbub because of Natalie Portman's article at Huff Post that it was the reason she became vegan. I have a phenomenal local bookstore a few blocks from my house that attracts some great authors (Richard Russo and even Alicia Silverstone and Andre Agassi). I was desperately searching for book talks by JSF. All my searching led me to his talk at the SF JCC that I attended before my red eye on Thursday and a contest to win his book. At the JCC, I purchased his new book and had it signed by him. Today, I awoke to an email saying that I won a copy of the book through a website. I've won very few things in my life, but amazingly, when I have won things, it's something I actually would buy (or did buy) myself.

I just started Eating Animals after finishing Shooting Stars, LeBron James's book about his amateur basketball career. I really enjoyed reading James (assisted by Buzz Bissinger, of Friday Night Lights fame) and I can't wait to recommend it to some of my athletes. I'll let you all know if I become a vegetarian or vegan after this book.

No comments: