Thursday, February 19, 2009

Night Running

It's been ages since I've run in the evening.  Well, maybe that's actually not true.  I think I ran on Sunday evenings last spring as I was trying to transition from running 3 miles as my long run to running 5 or 6 miles.  But from the fall of 2004 to the fall of 2006, I ran after work rather than before.  Those were the days when I got out of work at 2pm, got home by 4pm and could get a run in in the daylight no matter what time of year.

Today, my alarm went off at 4:30am and for the first time in...a very long time, I shut it off and decided that I needed more sleep.  And I was haunted by the pain in my left shin, which forced to me to shorten my Wednesday run considerably.  

So, today, I came home from work and put in the miles.  As much as I love my neighborhood, I think I love it even more in the evenings.  When I run in the mornings, it's also dark outside, but the houses are also dark.  At night, you can see in people's houses.  I feel like I've written about this before, and I don't mean to come across as a voyeur,  but I do love to see families gathered in their homes, spending time together.  I also like seeing how homes are decorated.  I really don't like seeing people's television lighting up the room.  And around here, most people have huge, bloody televisions, so as I run by, I can watch the news along with them.

My dream house: Kitchen at the front with big windows and living room or family room or whatever you call it in the back.  There are a few dream houses in my neighborhood that fit the bill on this.  The problem is they are probably over a million dollars, so I'll have to keep looking.

No comments: