Sunday, February 15, 2009

Epic

We are getting some kind of rain.  All day it was just pouring.  You know how when your pants get wet in the rain, they sag and get longer.  My walk from my weekend job is about .8 miles and my pants were so long by the time I got home.  I'm so happy for the rain because we need it.

Tomorrow will be epic.  Not just the amount of rain we will continue to get, but the amazing things that I will do.  Well, really it's one amazing thing that will be sandwiched by very cool things.  

1) Wake up at 0-dark-hundred to run 8 miles.  This will be my first hard core weekday workout of my training plan.  It should be pouring, so I can't say I am really excited.  The reason for my lack of excitement is that I don't have a running jacket that keeps me really dry.  I have a few jackets (3 in fact) that work when it's sort of sprinkling, but this morning, it was raining pretty hard and about 2 miles in, I was feeling the wet rain on my skin...through the jacket and my shirt.  I should just retreat these guys...and I will, but honestly, that will probably be in the future when it's not raining biblically.

3) The end of my day will be at my weekend job, where I have lots of fun.  The people who work there are super cool and funny and the custys (as my co-worker calls them) are nice to work for.  I got some great school sweaters there today on mega sale, so I am a happy camper.

2) I didn't skip #2, but I wanted to save it for last.  Tomorrow, my previously mentioned co-worker and I are going to watch the Amgen Tour of California roll through our backyard.  The riders are going to be climbing the hills up to Skyline Road, where we'll see them.  Hopefully, we'll be able to pick some of them out.  We kind of wanted to ride our bikes up there, but the climb is pretty legit.  It's a Category 2 climb for the riders (where Cat 1 is the hardest...actually "HC" is the hardest, which means "beyond classification), so who knows what that would mean for us.  It's one of those classic bike rides that the cyclists do out here...climbing up to Skyline.  I think I could run it, but I have no business climbing it on a bike...in the rain...when I have to work a few hours later...and right after a challenging run.  So, we're going to drive up and see them on the flat part of Skyline.  We'll be able to sit in the car and chat and read the paper and stay dry until we run out screaming with our cowbells.  Here are some awesome things I just saw regarding The Tour (different from Le Tour). 
a) The guys who run this site came in our store today wanting more rain gear.  They are from Chicago and clearly thought they were going to get a sunny Cali vacation. Their website is pretty sweet.
b) This is a sweet video of a BMC rider's prologue ride.  The prologue, which is such a funny concept...to have a prologue for a race.  Anyway, the video is awesome because there are so many fans!  I totally got goosebumps watching this and can't wait for tomorrow.

Finally, I wish I owned an umbrella.  Not sure why I don't.  I do have a rain jacket this is awesome...just not a good running rain jacket yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't own an umbrella either. They're an unnecessary mechanical contrivance. As Margaret Ellis says, humans are waterproof.

Anonymous said...

Dude - we've PASSED the amount of rain needed for February and are working on making up for January! We have about 3 inches still to go, but this storm is awesome!!!
I am embracing my wet pants and super curls!

GOOD LUCK on your run!