Saturday, February 28, 2009

More Sightings

I feel like I'm a five year old, seeing things you just don't see every day.  My favorite sighting from the last week was a guy who was crossing El Camino (the main drag here...kind of like a nicer, slower version of Rte. 9).  He was wearing: running tights, black long sleeved shirt, crossing guard reflective vest, and.....NO SHOES!  What?  The benefits of barefoot running are great, but I would never set foot on any city street without shoes.  I don't even like to be barefoot in my driveway for fear of what's out there.  Menlo Park is by no means an unclean place, but it only takes one piece of glass to ruin your barefoot fun.


And, in a brief respite from the rain, I saw a full rainbow stretching across El Camino.  I had to pull over to the gas station to get a picture, which doesn't make for the best scenery.  But, it looks like Shell could be the pot of gold.  I'm not sure what to make of that.



Finally, cow eyeballs.  That's what the 9th graders were dissecting on Friday and I joined them, with many other math teachers to take part.  I'm less squeemish about this stuff than I used to be.  I was totally fine just touching the eyeball with my bare hands and helping kids take it apart.  Of course, that grossed a few of them out, but it was fun.  And cow's eyeballs are really cool.  They have an elliptical iris, unlike ours that is circular.  I wonder what that means about how cows see compared to us.  I also didn't know that our lens is like a 3-D ellipse or sphere, not something flat like a contact lens.  What a fun afternoon.  And then I scrubbed my hands clean.

No comments: