Monday, October 1, 2007

Why I Haven't Called...

Many of you have heard that my phone doesn't work in my house (I think this has something to do with a) Verizon being shut out of the towers here near Stanford and b) the materials that make up the houses here). If you call me, I have to stand outside to get reception. I am the Verizon commercial (can you hear me now)...except no one can actually hear me. It's actually getting a bit cold here at night, so sitting in my car talking on the phone isn't high on my list of desirable things to do.

I did come up with some solutions:

1. While I'm at my house, my calls are forwarded to my house phone. As far as I can tell, when you call me, Verizon thinks you're calling my cell phone and so if you're in my network, this is a great solution as the chatting is free. The down side is that I can't call you unless I stand outside and ask you to call me back.

2. Skype. I've got it. So, if you like to sit in front of your computer and talk on the phone, we can talk there.

I know...these aren't the best ideas ever. I've been to Verizon and they updated my software. That didn't help too much. When my contract is up with Verizon in February, I'm hoping that a new phone may help or maybe a local number. I really have no idea how this works. Since most people I talk to are on Verizon, I'd rather not leave them as a company, but I wish it didn't feel like they own me.

3 comments:

samkay64 said...

How is Skype? I might be needing some cell alternatives in a month or so myself.

Isn't it frustrating to pay for what seems like nothing?

JPH said...

Hey there,

It's been awhile since I posted. I know people have had success calling over GTALK- which you have. I'd be into trying that! Or you could get a webcam, that would be funny!

Anonymous said...

Yo - what's your Skype? I'm rebecca-irwin