Monday, October 29, 2007

More of Pretty Tahoe


Last weekend (Oct 20-21), I was supposed to go to Baltimore, but as I sat in the airport, I found out my sister's game was canceled. So, change of plans. Moved the flights to the next weekend, ran home, repacked for Tahoe, and taught two periods at school (while all my students were wondering why I wasn't on a plane). Here are some pretty pictures from a hike up Alpine Meadows (a ski resort just north of the lake). We (mostly) followed one of the ski lifts up to Ward Peak, bushwhacking as much as possible, just like Matt likes it. On our way up, we saw the snow kissed bushes/trees. They are literally covered in snow on just one side (approximately the west side) but totally green on the other side. It's really pretty. I should have paid more attention to what Matt told me about it so I could say more.

The second picture is the view of the lake from the summit of our climb. I've been so lucky to be in Tahoe for such great weather! On the way up, we found some bamboo poles that (again, don't have all the details in my memory) ski patrollers or rescuers use on the mountain. They are flexible and so you can use them to steady behind you as you slide down the mountain. More bushwhacking occurred as we made our own path down the mountain and the poles came in handy. I was very nervous at first, going as slow as one possibly can, but I think I adapted pretty well and picked up the pace as I got more comfortable. Props to Matt for putting up with my nervousness and evil looks and for making me do something that pushed me a bit. Yay for Tahoe fun!

No comments: