Monday, October 15, 2007

Happy Camper!

I spend my early evening at The Farm watching #3 Wake Forest field hockey win over the Stanford Cardinal. It was awesome! I can't even begin to say how much I love watching field hockey...I literally forgot about every other thing that occupied my brain the rest of the day.

I will say though how much I miss coaching and playing (sports in general, but definitely field hockey). There's something about being involved in the game that is so exciting to me. Another good consequence of that is that you're away from the parents when you are playing or coaching. I don't know if it's because I played the sport or just who I am as a person, but it's really challenging to sit in the stands and listen to what parents say...they way they say bad things about the other team and the refs, how it should have been this call or someone should get a card. I also found it frustrating to watch Wake beat Stanford 8-0 (it was 5-0 at the half and Stanford was not without their chances but really, 8-0 because you're the #3 team with four losses and you need to make a statement?). As a former athlete, I plea to to spectators...encourage and cheer for good play, no matter who makes it. Be positive. The players learn sportsmanship from you in a lot of ways.

I'll soon be off to Baltimore for the weekend, to see more field hockey action. What a great week!

1 comment:

samkay64 said...

Hey, let me know when you'll be in Bmore. Maybe we can get together for a bit.