Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wichita

Sometimes I hear about things that I just have to share with someone, but there's no one around to fill that role. Maybe that's why I have a blog.

I got an email from This American Life the other day about an event that Ira Glass woiuld be doing with his cousin and composer Philip Glass. They performed part of "Wichita Vortex Sutra," a poem by Alan Ginsberg that (P) Glass composed music to accompany.

I then listened to a recording of the poem (below). I liked seeing the words as I listened, so I went here for the poem written out. The combination of Ginsberg and Glass is quite amazing. I marveled at how the music fit the words so well and accentuated certain lines of the poem. It was wonderful to listen to as I sit and proctor an extended time SAT this morning and in the backdrop, hear the rain pinging on the roof.

No comments: