Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Raaaaaaaaain!

Here it is, people: the rainy season in Northern California. But a twist! This storm so intense that even San Diego and L.A. are soggy as well (you may have seen all the arms holding umbrellas in the margins of Golden Globe pictures.

And deja vu. Two years ago this week, we had the same exact weather. Just days and days of rain. This storm is different. For one, I'm riding my bike through it. So far, my rain pants, balaclava, gaiters, and gore-tex shoes have been so valuable. As are the fenders. The other difference in this storm is the lighting! I have never experienced lightning here in the Bay Area. But, we have lightning and thunder!! This is one of the things I miss most about the east coast. I love me a good old fashioned thunderstorm. Today, I got one and rode home to lightning on the horizon. Spectacular.

I'm upset about the election results in Mass. I should have been phone banking and helping out. But I've been so distracted by the horror at NBC with Leno and Conan (arguably another disaster involving Bay Staters). I love Conan. Granted, I didn't watch (but I've never watched late night...except for online), but NBC seems to have royally screwed up. Five years ago, they made a deal so they wouldn't lose Conan and when the time came, they didn't want to lose Leno. And they had no idea how to handle it well. I've been tuning in to see Conan in his last few nights and he is just fantastic. And he's doing it all with a smile. I have loved his monologues this week about how he's not supposed to say anything bad about NBC..."but no one said I couldn't sing it" and "they didn't say anything about saying it in Spanish." So clever and fun. I hope for Conan, his family, and staff that they find a place to land soon. I'll be watching.

No comments: