Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Woo hoo! and Input Needed

We just found out that we have our first Stanford acceptance!  That's all I know, but given how tough it is to get into schools these days, I'm so impressed by this student.

Next, check out this awesome picture of the Yosemite church.  The colors make me wish I could take pictures.

And...take the poll on the right or comment or email me.  I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to raise $3900 between May 14 and August 14.  Now, I haven't even done one marathon, but I'm thinking about raising money for Leukemia by doing Team in Training for Chicago this fall.  $3900 is a lot of money, but I kind of know a few people and I've done my part to contribute to a few campaigns like this in the past.  But, I'll let the five of you who read this tell me what to do.  I'd like to meet more people around here and given that I go to bed early and run all the time, maybe I should use running to meet others and help others.  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Bec said...

I voted "Good Idea, but I think there is another organization that suits you better." You are doing such a great job training on your own, and it seems as if you prefer it that way.

So many organizations need our money these days, and the best way to choose is simply to collect/donate to what you are most passionate about.

Adam and I have a few favorites... I'd be happy to share if you're interested.

Ali said...

I agree with Bec for the most part.

T in T is a great organization, and I will say that it would contribute to the social aspect of running as they have wonderful group runs and amazing support.

What I will say is that with any group/organization you join, you do not have to subscribe to their training. Usually, you do long runs with the group on weekends. And they will provide you with water stops, potential get togethers, etc. So, don't be averse to organizations fearing that you need to alter your training. You don't. So, if you prefer to train on your own, you can and still be a part of a fundraising organization that will provide you with some amenities if desired--group runs as well as unrivaled support along a course. It's a personal choice, though. For a race like a marathon, I like to feel part of a group, and was actually slightly envious of the purple jerseys that got so much support along the course at the half this weekend.

I do agree with Bec, though, in the choosing an organization you feel most passionate about. With Ginna F, I independently raised money for breast cancer and am glad I went that route.

That's my two cents!