Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kudos and To Dos

Okay, so am I the only who was tearing up during Hilary's intro and her speech the other night? She is a phenomenal leader and I was a bit sad that her fight had to end. My kudos are for MSNBC, who is showing the entire DNC live on their website. How is MSNBC doing better with this than regular NBC with the Olympics? I guess MSNBC realizes that screwing the West Coast when it comes to politics is not the way to go.

Barack made it happen tonight! I'm sure everyone is happy that he laid out some details of his campaign and what he will do as president. It got me so excited. I was reminded of a recent conversation I had with my grandmother about the state of the country. I mentioned to her my belief that I am, you are, we (Democrats) are all to blame for George Bush's presidency, especially his second term, when we knew better. Her response is that she was not culpable because she didn't vote for Bush. So, I asked, "How many people did you convince not to vote for Bush?" Personally, I'm not sure I convinced any (maybe one, now that I think about it). So, what to do this time? I don't think it's enough to vote. I always vote and am surrounded by others who vote, so there must be something more to do. I'm trying to figure out just what that is. I don't think I'm the kind to stand out and ask for signatures. So, my first start was to give Obama some money. I know there are people out there who will call and go door-to-door and I support them. But we have two months to make this happen. Eight is enough! So, what should we do? Potentially, so of my readers are not for Obama. But whoever you support, do you believe in them enough to really do something to get them in the White House or the Senate or the town office? I welcome your thoughts on what to do.

3 comments:

Karl said...

I loved the part of Obama's speech where he talked about the "Ownership Society" (the supply-siders in Washington). He said that such policies leave good people on their own and that it's time for the supply-siders to own their failure. So smooth, using the same word in different senses. In my rhetoric class, we call that zeugma.

It's definitely challenging to convince people to vote outside of their party, but I think increasing voter registration and persuading apathetic people to vote is feasible. Focusing on young people makes sense to me, particularly in areas where voter registration is historically low.

I teach high school English, so I just do a lesson on registering to vote where we actually fill out the registration forms. Some students aren't 18 yet, but in many places you can register before you're 18. Some students aren't U.S. citizens, but I have them fill out the forms anyway, so if they do become citizens, they will already know what to do. Students' citizenship status can be sensitive, so I explain that I'm going to give everyone a form and that I want everyone to fill it out. I just ask the non-citizens not to sign it. This isn't ideal, but I think getting young people registered is worth the potential problems. During the primary, only a handful of the 60 or 70 students who could vote had already registered.

If you do this, I would contact your local elections department first to make sure you know the rules about registering dates and registering early. It's also good to make sure that they will accept large packets of forms.

I think that this year I'm also going to put a voter registration form in the boxes of all my colleagues. I'm going to announce that if they fill out the forms, I'll send them in. I'd love to hear other people's ideas about this stuff.

Anonymous said...

Politics gets me heated. Especially when we're talking about ruining EVERYTHING. Especially when you're a teacher and NO ONE talks enough about the future of our society and actually - I mean, REALLY - investing in it. (I'm actually feeling my pulse escalate and my hands shake right now.)
When you get this angry over the state of things, it is difficult to rationally have a conversation with someone who does not feel the same way.
Ever since you, MDuds, have taught me how to be a decent citizen of Mother Nature, I have learned that I teach best when I lead by example. I think this way about politics. But perhaps you're right then. Because I do not believe my voice can change minds, I should think of other ways. I truly cannot understand WHY we do not all just drop everything and march on the front steps of the White House and DEMAND that we are told the truth and that politicians actually give a damn about immigrants, children, teachers, health care, the environment, a middle class, social security, international relations...must I go on? Why do we stand for it? Why do we allow economically disadvantaged people to VOTE for rich republicans that do NOT take care of them?
I keep on saying, "Why doesn't anyone organize the Million Teacher March?" I don't know if I can, but I need to find someone who knows how to.

I need a cold shower.

jan said...

Hmmm...we here at 12 High Street watched the DNC on CSpan and didn't have to listen to the talking heads. As for MSNBC we only watched to catch Rachel Maddow. During the Olympics I called MSNBC three times to complain. I mean, for crying out loud they played the song 'Row, row, row, your boat..' before introducing a story about the US Women's Elite eight rowing team.

I am having such agita after the Palin pick by McCain that I was nearly inconsolable this morning. My friend Eve and I have decided that we are going to travel to a state that needs help and do something for the Obama/Biden ticket. We are thinking Pennsylvania.Our plan is presently shapeless. I guess some shape shifting may be necessary.

Until then, I am going to get my 'Nurses for Obama' tee shirt to wear. They have great stuff at Cafepress {all made in China}. And send the campaign more money {all borrowed from China}.

Oh, yeah, and get a passport.












Some days I just feel like telling everyone to just wake me up when it's over.