Friday, August 29, 2008

If You Get My Meaning

Today, I was editing my work e-mail "signature" and I realized that it should include my fax number. As the Athletic Director, for some reason, people need to constantly tell me things via voicemail, fax, USPS and e-mail. Constantly. But, I don't love the word 'fax' as much as I love 'facsimile.' It just sounds like what the machine does (I thought this without knowing the definition). Facsimile is, in fact, from the Latin fac simile, which means "make like." What a great word! Of course, this word existed before the machine. Too bad it was ruined when the fax machine came around.

That makes me think of some story or joke I heard...or maybe just a commentary that asks "who bought the first fax machine?" Like the telephone, who needs it if they are the only one? That seems like Jerry Seinfeld kind of humor.

For some reason, I really like words that say exactly what they mean. Maybe that's because I don't have the knack for words in general. K will ask me..."Do you know what ____ means?" Most of the time, I could get it right in a multiple choice situation, but I can't recite the definition. So, the word "photocopy" is just great. Because that's what it is...a copy that was produced by taking a picture of the document. It might also be that mathematical practical side. I like when things make sense. Although, I am happy to have "punctilious" as part of my vocabulary now. So, I have two personae I guess. I like word that sound like what they mean, but I also like words that have a nuanced definition. I like to tell my students that I'm not fastidious, I'm punctilious...which I think of as fastidious, but in a good way. I have used this word a lot in front my students since I learned it and one of them even said to me (in Nicaragua), "Ms. Dudley, I know you're punctilious..." Awesome!

I will say that I enjoy being a math teacher who can teach my kids something about words and grammar in the mix of all the numbers. I've had too many people say things to me like, "You like to read, why aren't you an English teacher?" or "You write a lot of letters, why aren't you an English teacher?" Oy! I hope that from me (and so many of my colleagues), my students learn that you don't have to be just one thing. You can actually be a person with a diverse set of skills. Or maybe it's just that I'm a big nerd, who likes learning, whatever the subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad's financial adviser uses the word, "facsimile" on his signature. I must admit, I turned to Adam and declared, "What the eff is THAT?!" ha ha. But, you are in good company.

Learning a second language has really helped me to see those perfectly delicious words that mean exactly what they say. I tend to find them more in other languages, but none-the-less, they are fun.