Monday, December 10, 2007

Hitting The Slopes

200th post!

I was talking to my aunt recently and she asked about Patagonia Boy and what sports he does. I told her that he is a hiker, rock climber, and skier. Her response was, "Skiing...that's not your most intuitive sport. We need to get you out on the slopes." I didn't ski until I was 18 (1998) and then again in 2004. I don't think I've skied more than that (I am convinced there's another time but it's not coming to me). So, Patagonia Boy has his work cut out for him.

It snowed in Tahoe on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I met Matt and his friend Willy as they finished night skiing at Boreal on Friday night (after a very tentative ride up the hill...clear roads but I've spun on black ice before and I've never driven Lighting in the snow. On Saturday, we got a late start (what can I say...he brings out the late sleeper in me) and went to Alpine Meadows Ski and hiked. I was on snowshoes...which did no good because the snow was totally powder and I sunk straight down. Matt hiked in his new tele gear and skied down. There was a "drizzle" of snow all day Saturday, which was totally what I was wishing for...no snow on my drive to or from but snow while I was there. Sunday, we got up at a reasonable hour and were about to ski for about five hours. I got a Learn To Ski pass, which was a beginner ski lift ticket, rental, and lesson. Despite being totally discouraged at first (it's not totally intuitive), I played around for a bit and finally got the courage to get on the lift. It ended up being great fun...it's not totally intuitive, but I'm not a disaster either. Hopefully, I didn't embarrass the boy too much. It was fun...maybe we'll do it again next weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're going to be spoiled now. Skiing out there is soooo much better than back here!