Monday, November 26, 2007

We're Walking...We're Walking

We got to the trailhead to North Dome around 11am and after putting our food in the bear box, we commenced walking. I was a little worried that the first 0.7 miles was downhill (i.e. it would be uphill on the way back), but Matt reminded me that we would actually have to lose elevation to get to North Dome. One thing about the Sierras that makes it very different from East Coast hiking is that in places you don't really need a trail because you're hiking on granite or you can easily navigate to the peak because the trees are a lot less dense. We left the trail to get a nice view of the valley below and didn't actually make it all the way to North Dome but enjoyed our time in the sun for a few hours.


Here's the view we got of Half Dome. While I'll definitely make that hike some day, it was cool to see it and its enormity on this trip.




And here's how Matt ended the hike...climbing this rock by the bear boxes. I'd like to pretend I could have followed suit, but after seeing him work at it, my chances of falling seemed likely and my calves were kind of yelling at me for all that I've been making them do for me lately.

No comments: