Monday, November 26, 2007

Olympic Fever

Squaw Valley! Home of the 1960 Olympics and just a short drive from Lake Tahoe. Since there's no snow, it was a great opportunity for us to go to up the tram at the ski resort.
The round trip is $20 but it's only another $6 to go ice skating at the top. I was amused by the sign inside that said "110 + 1" persons. I'm not sure how that's different than 111 but I guess it is.
This is the view looking down from the tram at the resort and the horse stable area. The snow you see is all machine-made but there were some avid people out doing tricks on their snowboards and sledding on the bunny hills. I'm getting excited from some winter (one on coast or the other).



At "High Camp," there is a pool, tennis courts, restaurants, the ice rink, and the Olympic Museum. The Museum was pretty good, but more of a display. They had some pages from the official bid document. They committee had written things like, "Do the athletes want the Games to be in California? Ask them." It was so 1950's. We had a fun skate with a view of the lake. I'm not as stable on blades as I am on the box pattern of roller skates, but I worked up a sweat nonetheless. Being at Squaw and seeing all the pictures of the Games made me doubly excited for Vancouver in 2010. Now I just have to figure out how I'll be able to take off work for two weeks in a random February.

No comments: