Monday, November 26, 2007

Mono Lake

East of Yosemite is Lee Vining, CA, a cute litle town of about 400 people and one big salty lake. This is Lake Mono which is very salty and makes these things called tufas. They are limestone structures that form as the calcium in fresh water under the lake comes in contact with the salty lake water. They kind of grow underwater, but that's all I can really tell you. I wasn't too smart on Saturday, evidenced by the fact that I asked Matt, "have you ever swam in salt water?" After he looked at me funny for about 10 seconds, I realized how ridiculous a question that is. I guess I was thinking of really salty water.


We stayed to watch the moonrise over the lake and headed back to Tahoe. We drove through Carson City and saw gas for $3.12! The latest update from the west coast is that we are spending about $3.50 a gallon. But, Matt did set a Lightning gas mileage record with a tank at 33.7 mpg! So, all the driving we did was at least done with some efficiency.

No comments: