Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oh The Places I'll Go

Only three more days until summer. It was "cold" here until about Memorial Day weekend, so just in time for the heat (and a Gates Foundation visit), our A/C wasn't working and I'm making summer plans like crazy. Summer starts around 8pm on Friday, after our graduation. Then, we're off to the races. I don't remember the Seuss book that so many people get at graduation, but it probably went something like this:

-One week in Daytona grading AP Statistics exams. I wonder how I'll feel at the end of this week, but I'm excited for the opportunity. It will be lots of grading in a hotel, and maybe some fun in the sun. I wonder if I'll want to read books after long days of reading silly answers to AP problems.

-One week in Chicago with my sister. We're celebrating my 30th. Last year, when I had a bummer of a 29th birthday and was all alone, I knew I needed to fix that before the 3-0. Luckily, my sister feels some obligation to help with that and is super sweet in letting me hang with her in Chi Town and forcing me to book the flights.

-Five days at home for a wedding. Two of my former colleagues are getting hitched and the wedding will be a big dance party. Can't wait. I will be dancing non-stop.

-Ten days in Ecuador - split between the Galapagos and Quito. I just booked this today. I'm journeying with one of my favorite women at school. She's a math teacher like me and I envy how much she's traveled. Yesterday, she said, "Do you want to go to the Galapagos this summer?" (NK had already The great thing about friends is that I would never have thought to go to the Galapagos and as soon as I tell anyone about it, they say, "I've been dying to go there!" I guess this was the 30th birthday trip I've been meaning to plan, but didn't know it was what I wanted.

-Ten days at home again for Newport and family reunion. I booked this back in October, well before I knew I was coming back east. Oh well.

-Then a two week road trip through the northern states on my way to Boston. I'm spending money like I'm made of it (hemorrhaging, as Ali would say), apparently, but this move and the age I'm about to hit are making me feel the need for lots of distractions.

Somewhere in there, I'm hoping to work in some Cali stuff (although I will either have to save that stuff for future visits or I'll do day trips here and there). And if the Lakers lose, I have to go to Huntington Beach to make good on a bet.

Hopefully, by the time Sept 1 is here, I'll be able to get my brain back in work mode. But, I'll worry about that later.

No comments: