Friday, August 14, 2009

Why I Can't Help But Love Facebook

I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I will spare you any ranting this evening and just skip to the love. I love that when I post something on Facebook, my former students, who seem to be watching the site like hawks, write sweet, cute, funny, and nice things back to me.

Probably the hardest part, for me, about being a high school teacher is that I develop great relationships with students and then having to bid them farewell as they set off into the real world. You never know which students will keep in touch, but I thank Facebook for making that a whole lot easier. I've seen a bunch of my mentees recently and they are all off to college in the next week or two. I could cry just thinking about all the hopes and dreams I have for them...that they are happy, that they find their passions, that they meet amazing and supportive people to nurture them. But, I could also jump for joy that they are about to embark on a fantastic journey, and if I'm lucky, I'll get to hear a bit about it over the next year, five years, or ten.

No comments: