Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Big, Big Basin

Since I have a summer job, I don't have infinite free time this summer. When I got two days off in a row last week, I emailed Bec and asked, "You around? What should we do?" Our plans started as very bold, but quickly became realistic and didn't tire us out just thinking about it.

We planned to backpack, if you can call it that, in Big Basin and stay overnight at a camp in the park. Despite all the outdoorsy things I like to do, I have never carried my life on my back in the woods and Bec was kind enough to be my guide. We make a good team out there, so I knew it would be a smashing success. The name of this post is a shout-out to the Big, Big Loader commercials from way back when.

We drove to the ranger station on Friday morning and checked in. They directed us to our parking area and we got going.


Bec is getting the lay of the land and trying not to have OCD about the map fold lines.


Our hike was about 5 or 6 miles out on a loop in some spectacular coastal redwood groves. Everything we saw was a mix of reds, browns, and greens and it smelled so woodsy. One of my least favorite things about this part of the world are the banana slugs. We only saw a few, but that was a few too many.

It's not so much that I'm scared of them, but they just seem so unnatural to me. I do not understand their purpose on this planet.


I can't get enough of these tall trees. The light that peeks through is just beautiful. We were amazed at how many of the trees had visibly damaged trunks but were still alive. These trees are survivors!


After two hours of hiking, Bec and I stopped for lunch. We sat on a bench that overlooked these Berry Creek Falls. I believe that this is a 'falls' and not a 'fall,' as it seems to hit rocks a few times on the way down. A cute couple was coming the opposite way and stopped at the same spot. The guy shed some clothes and went under the falls while we sat there, feeling virtually refreshed.

We kept on walking, convincing ourselves that our packs were lighter now that we'd eaten the heavy Whole Foods sandwich. We were on our way to Sunset camp and feeling good.

We got there after three hours on the trail (including lunch) and being that it was only 3pm, we had lots of time to kill. We set up the tent and organized our things before heading back down the trail to soak our feet in the cool Berry Creek. There was not really enough water to do any kind of significant bathing, but our feet did appreciate the attention and rest.


When we returned to camp, we read...well, Bec read while I tried to read until I fell asleep. I could sleep under the trees all the time. While a sleeping pad isn't the greatest mattress in the world, it isn't that bad. And after a few hours with a pack on, it's quite dreamy, in fact.


Sorting the goods before dinner. I am happy to report that we did not overpack one bit. Well, I didn't really need my old Nalgene there, but it was handy to drink out of instead of sucking from a Camelbak hose for two days.

Bec was our food coordinator and she brought some wraps with tuna, avocado, sprouts and cheese. We had to open the can of tuna and slice up the avocado. First, there was the business of figuring out Adam's Leatherman.


Bec studies the knife. We were making no progress but there was no way were were going to ask the boys at the camp next to us. Independent women, y'all.


Brushing teeth after a successful dinner. It's been a very, very long time since I've brushed my teeth outside and I totally forgot how to do it. I've since looked it up and realized I needed to put a bunch of water in my mouth to aid the spraying around of the paste, so as to scatter it. Next time! Here, under my chin is a good reservoir of foam. I did not have the hang of this at all.

We slept until we awoke. I guess that sounds odd, but there were no alarms involved here. And why should there be? Nature was our alarm. We had some PB&J wraps and soymilk (which had cooled nicely overnight) and got on our way. It was a similar distance back to complete the loop. I was in amazing amounts of pain because my contact solution did not neutralize overnight (or something) and burned as soon as they were in my eyes. Taking them out did not provide much relief. So, I was hiking with burning eyes, my vision clouded, and no ability to really look around since it hurt to move my eyeballs. Bec led me out of the forest as my eyes did their job, although I think they were pretty pissed that I intentionally put burning solution into them. Sorry guys!

By the time we were close to the end of our hike, my eyes were doing much better and I was mostly functional as a human again.



I am pretty tall, but dwarfed by the redwoods. I am also enthusiastic about my hiking poles and the fact that I will shortly take this pack off. Thank goodness. The second day, my shoulders were sore...putting the pack back on didn't help.


From this distance, you can't even tell that I nearly burned my eyeballs out.

When we got to the car, we commenced cleaning up and getting ready for our next act: The Gilroy Garlic Festival! Adam would be meeting us there and I was so happy that Bec was driving. My vision was still pretty cloudy and I was in desparate need of saline.

We drove that car as far as we could...until we got to a drugstore and remedied my eye issue. Then off to the Patagonia outlet, where we found $120 dresses for $14. Bonus! Then to the Garlic Fest, where we were met with traffic. And heat.



I mean...it was hot enough, did they really need this flame?

We had some corn with garlic butter (worth it) and free samples of garlic ice cream. I don't really understand what this festival is. You pay $12 to get in and then walk around buying food and crafts. It's a weird money making scheme, I think. But, Gilroy is the garlic capital of the world, so it's their right to do this. We were all happy to at least check this off our list, even if we would rather not go again. Traffic, heat, and overpriced everything is not the most fun way to spend a day off.


Bec enjoying her garlic combo platter, probably more so because we had been on the trails.


With this post, I am officially caught up on the summer adventures that I had yet to report on. Hope you're enjoying the coastal musings.

1 comment:

samkay64 said...

I loved every last sentence and picture in this post!

You guys rock. I srsly dream of adding my day pack and sore shoulders to your future adventures. I'll definitely need a guide or two.