Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Brought To You By The Letter P

I didn't plan this day, but it just happened.

Podcasts - I'm getting caught up after ten days away. I've deleted a lot without listening, but there's so much that I'm enjoying including the alway funny Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

Peter Sagal - quote of the podcast was about Sarah Palin speaking...it's like someone "narrating her own acid trip."

Patagonia Sale - 40-60% off and just craziness, but everyone in the store was very nice and patient.

Patxi's - After a long day, all I wanted to do was sit down. And since I was going to a movie, the deep dish pizza joint across the street (one of my favorite places out here) was calling me. As their shirts say: Say pah-cheese. Taste Chicago. This pizza is perfection...the crust makes you want to giggle like Julia Child. It worked well that you have to wait about 30 minutes for your pie...so I could read...

The Paper - Knocked out the crossword and the KenKen in no time and got to enjoy the entire paper today. It's a rare occurence since it takes so darn long to read.

Paper Heart - I want to be friends with Charlyne Yi and date Michael Cera. That's how lovely this motion picture was. It was sweet and innocent and fresh. And it made me think that I wished I didn't believe in love, like Charlyne. That might be easier.

Pasagiatta - complete with gelato. I really enjoyed my leisurely walk home after the movie with Coconut/Macadamia Nut and Fresh Ginger gelatos. I completed my trifecta today...Patxi's, indie movie at the Aquarius right across the street, then back over to Gelato Classico next to the pizza joint. This trifecta is my idea of a perfect night. The last time I completed it was on a first date with a very willing guy. Despite the fact that I was on my own this time, it was pretty fun.

Right now, I'm sort of in a place where I can't figure out if I should aggressively save my money so that I'm happy in the future or spend my money in a way that I have happiness now. Tonight I chose the latter, spending money on pizza, movie, and gelato that I didn't need to spend, but did so I'd have some enjoyment. But, I'm still struggling with this. I could turn down opportunities, saying that I can't afford to spend the money (not that I don't have it available, but more that I want to save more of it for retirement or something), but I'm not sure what kind of life that would leave for me right now. Especially since I wouldn't trade a day like today for too much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your blog. Now that I'm wired in to it and after seeing Julie + Julia with you, I've got the blogging bug. What is the protocol for commenting? Should I be sending these comments to your email instead of posting them for the world to see? BTW, I advise you spend money on trifectas such as the one you just had. Your mental/emotional health is more important. Planning to go see Paper Heart on your recommendation.

Bec said...

I think you can save AND enjoy the present. Once the school year hits, the time for "present enjoying" goes down and saving goes up. The summertime, it's all about savings slowing down and present-fun going up! That's just my philosophy.