Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's Not What Happens, It's How It Happens

These words are those of Mr. Sharpe, my 12th grade English teacher (and one of my favorite teachers in all the world and the only one who ever told me that I should have confidence as a writer). The words came after he told us the summary of the plot of Hamlet. I remember feeling a little disappointed that he gave away the storyline. Up to that point, I had enjoyed most of the Shakespeare that I read and I was excited to dive into the tragedy of the Prince of Denmark.

But, Mr. Sharpe was dead-on right and I quote his words to my students to this day.

Fast forward. I was scratching my head about a month ago when I realized that I had booked a trip out of the country for nine days right in the middle of Le Tour de France, but planned to watch it all when I returned. I got off the plane last night and immediately warned NK, my nice friend who picked us up at a time that felt ever so late for us: "Do NOT tell me anything about the Tour de France!" He doesn't pay attention to Le Tour, but I had to make sure that he wouldn't let anything slip.

I should have told the same thing to the websites I visited this morning. I went to versus.com to watch the stages that I missed (yay for On Demand sports that you just pay for...it's about time!) and right on the front page was the winner. Ugh! Then to espn.com to check on the Sox (should have gone somewhere else) and there it was again. Double ugh!

Alas, I do not feel disappointment by knowing what happened in this year's Tour. I still do not quite know how it happened. So, please don't tell me how it happened. I was excited (sort of) as I watched Stage 12 when there was some action in the mountains and I thought I was about to see the how. But not yet. There is still suspense. For those who know my penchants, you know that Contador does not ring my cowbell. Maybe my buddy CKB can fix that distaste...or maybe not. There's just something about that cyclist (maybe something called Le Tour 2009) that rubs me the wrong way.

So, my friends. It's not what, it's how. And it makes the world that much more interesting to explore.

1 comment:

JPH said...

Hey Studley, hope you're having a great time. Was wondering how to get the Good Reads widget on my blog. I pride myself on figuring this type of stuff out, but must be missing something obvious...