Thursday, July 29, 2010

Home!

I'm home! Yay! This is my last big trip of the summer and I'll be excited to end all the traveling when I get back to Cali.

I have lots of fun planned for this trip: adventures in Maine to hit up my favorite spots in Wiscasset, Newport Folk Festival (both days!), really good seats for a Sox game, some time to enjoy my favorite parts of Boston, a Paw Sox game (AAA ball team), and then the family reunion in New Hampshire. I'm hitting up every state except Vermont (as planned so far). This is still the summer of supporting the economy, it seems, but I'm in recovery from a tough year as a 29 year old.

This is also the last time I'll be home until December. I was given the opportunity to stay at my school, work at 80% (manageable financially and very appealing emotionally), and have more time in California. While this is sad for me from a family perspective, it feels like the right thing to do otherwise. While I had found a job in Massachusetts, I never felt settled about the decision and I definitely was not excited to be leaving Cali. So, that's the big change of plans. It's not as exciting as some would hope, but I'm really excited. I get to stay in Cali, I'll have a little less work to do (maybe), and keep having gorgeous days to ride my bike. I need to make some commitments on the West Coast to get a little closer to happiness. I'm hoping those will include things like: temple, writing more letters, getting back to running, and finding more people who like running and bikes. I hope the 20% that I don't have to work can help with that.

Here's to the next year of taking advantage of both coasts while I'm on them.

4 comments:

Amy said...

YAY! California for some more time! Although I'm sad that we will not get to see you in your drive through WI! Good luck with everything - sounds like you have a good plan going! 80% seems like such a dream to me!

Bec said...

YAY! More Studs'errifical time for meeeeeee! I'm so happy.

JPH said...

Hi Studley- Glad to hear you're happy with your decision. It seemed like an impossible choice, but 80% seems like a great way to get what you want. Enjoy MA- I'm jealous that you're there. Let me know if you have any time to talk- since the time difference is less on the East Coast.

xo

sharon said...

hi maura-- sad that you're not moving back here, but happy for you that you've made a decision you're excited about! i know your trip around new england is tightly packed, but i'd love to see you if you can squeeze me in.