Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Reviews

I've recovered from my reprimand. The commissioner of my region's athletics gave me a talking-to over email. Her tone was way out of hand, given the fact that the issue was a misunderstanding and was in no way serious. The biggest issue I had was that she cc-ed my boss, the parent volunteer who helps me, and my league's commissioner. If my friend Andy had let me email her right away, I would have given her my mom's email address, so she could make sure everyone knew that I was in trouble. Anyway, I think I'm over it. But, it's actually good to be reminded about how to treat other people. Often we are too busy or too stressed to respond in appropriate ways. I need to remember not to be this lady.

What a great California weekend. I had a fabulously long and hilly run on Saturday morning. I haven't enjoyed myself on a run more since...well...actually I've just been running happy (and mostly pain-free) since Thanksgiving, but this run was especially great because it was the furthest I've ever run and helped me build confidence for hills.  Since I was put in my place by the hills in SF this October, I need to play with them more. Then I went to my new job. I've started working at a local store, just a few days a month on the weekends. I feel a bit bad about being able to get more work so easily in this frightening economy, to be honest, but I did so for two reasons: to meet more people who are doing cool things outside and to have a bit more money in the bank to do said things outside. Since I am in complete limbo about where I want to live and be, I have decided that I need to explore California as much as possible around my running, and maybe that will help me figure something out. Or at least, if I come to leave California, I will be able to say that I really lived here (thinking HDT here).  And, as I hoped, I was already given suggestions for great trail running by my new boss.

This weekend was beyond gorgeous here.  In the high sixties and sunny, sunny, sunny.  My clothes could again soak up the sun outside.  I did a lot of walking around town, just taking it all in.  There's an enjoyment of my surroundings that I get when I'm walking or biking that just doesn't exist when driving.  And I see the most amazing details about the little world in which I live.  This morning, the farmer's market was awesome.  A few of my students were playing live music there with their band, another student was shopping with his family, another was working a stand, and I ran into one of my math colleagues.  I love that community feeling!  Okay, I'll stop bragging about the wonders of sunshine and review some movies.

This weekend I watched Surfwise and Man On Wire, both documentaries.  Surfwise was just a fascinating story of a doctor who decides to put his wife and nine kids (8 boys!) into a small camper and drive around the country just surfing.  It was just a bizarre story, something you'd never believe if someone just told you about it on the street.  The lifestyle is something I'm not sure I could ever give in to, but it was a fun story.

Then I watched Man On Wire, the story of a man who walked across a wire between the World Trade Center towers.  This documentary was so exquisite.  The filming was beautiful, the story was engrossing, and the man who walked was one of the most fascinating characters I've seen in a documentary.  This story was told far better than Surfwise, but in many ways, it was just a better story.  And, listening to people speak French or speak with a French accent is so beautiful.  I highly suggest this film.

Bedtime approaches and this weekend has left me refreshed for the week to come.

Birthday wishes today to AH and EH!  Hope you both had a great day.

1 comment:

sharon said...

We watched Man on Wire this weekend too and I'm totally convinced that guy is nuts! Definitely one of the better movies I've seen lately though.

I'm happy thinking of you strolling through the farmer's market while we're shoveling snow and trying to think of something else to make out of root vegetables!