Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Soggy Cobwebs and Heavy Feet

Biblical rain, my friends. And I couldn't be happier. I love the rain. Love, love, love it.

Buuuuutttt....there are some reasons why I Can't Stand The Rain:
1. I can't put my laundry on the line. Thankfully, I didn't this weekend (because I knew the rain was coming) so my laundry is almost dry, rather than being sopping wet.
2. My goal to get back on the bike this week is not looking good.
3. No offense, but I really dislike Halloween decorations beyond a pumpkin...and soggy cobwebs really make me gag. Of course yuppie Silicon Valley is now adorned in very, very soggy cobwebs. One way to stay skinny...
4. Running long distances is fun in the rain because you can feel like a bad a**, but today my shoes became very, very water-logged and as a result, felt very, very heavy for my last mile of eight.
5. Our nice landscaping at school washed away...I guess the landscapers didn't get the drainage right and so there's mulch floating on a small pond of water. Oh and our school's roof leaks!
6. My kids don't know what I'm doing when I sing "Blame It On The Rain." (Does anyone think this is a tragedy...or at least a tragedy that you can't buy the song sung by Milli Vanilli on iTunes?)

But I still love the rain because it makes California a little more real and a little less perfect.

Shout outs:
1. Newark Mayor Cory Booker. He was on my favorite radio program last week (On Point) and on my run today, I was completely hanging on every word he said. He is completely inspiring, even if he is a politician (he does go out with police in the middle of the night to talk to drug dealers). Two sound bites that I'm sure should be attributed to someone else, but seem completely relevant to the job I try to do every day. I am going to watch "Street Fight" about his first run for office. And apparently everyone already knows about him, but I didn't and he could make me move to Newark. JK!

Quotes:

"If you want the results that other people aren't getting, you have to be willing to do the things that other people aren't doing."

"You cannot let your inability to do everything undermine your determination to do something."

2. The NYC PS 22 Chorus...rocking "Run This Town." These kids are in 4th grade?!?!

1 comment:

Bec said...

GREAT video! The rain WAS so cool, no?

I'll bet i-tunes doesn't sell Blame it on the Rain b/c they illegally sold the song themselves?