Wednesday, October 14, 2009

See Ya, SIGG

Just in case you didn't know (I've been surprised how many people haven't heard...but then again, I didn't hear that all these T-Mobile customers lost their contacts or something like that)...Sigg bottles contain BPA. You have until Oct 31 to deal with this...take them back to where you bought it (not sure if you need a receipt) or send them back to Sigg. If you're lucky like me, you have a store nearby (Sports Basement for me) that will just take the bottles back.

You see...I never was into Siggs. Here's why...an email exchange between SIGG and a a friend of a friend of a...something. These emails are from March 2007.

From Sigg:

I am not aware of any major changes to our liner in the last 2 years as you mention – I’d be interested in seeing the reports you are referring to.While the ingredients of the SIGG liner are proprietary, I can tell you that our bottles are tested frequently in Quality Control as well as in independent laboratories. In all the tests, SIGG bottles show no migration of chemicals, no trace of BPA. SIGGs are safe and I believe are the best reusable water bottles on the market.


From customer:
Thank you - my question was not about migration of BPA, the question was whether BPA is used in the liner. No one seems to respond to that - is there any information you can provide?

From SIGG:
It’s a proprietary formula – I’ve been told best on earth – exclusively manufactured for bottles. It is a competitive advantage for SIGG and therefore the ingredients are kept confidential.
But isn’t the real issue to ensure that what you and your family are drinking is free of any chemicals. I know the issues surrounding polycarbonate #7 (Lexan) have to do with the problems these containers have with migration of the materials, chemicals. On the other hand, numerous research studies show SIGGs are leach-free.

I want to call attention to a few things. One, I am not trying to flame SIGG. They have attempted to make a good product and been successful, most obviously with their branding. For some reasons, I do not wish this to be the complete downfall of the brand, but really? They refused to answer the questions posed by this consumer. That's number two. They are treating this customer as if she has no intelligence. What a shame.

As a result of these emails back in 2007, I had no interest in supporting this company. If they couldn't say they were BPA free, I didn't want one. I do not appreciate things that sound like lawyer-ese anyway in these situations. SIGG could have been the ones to make their reputation. Well, I guess they did this. They now have a reputation of being untrustworthy.

So, I have not been too jazzed about them, but, I got one in an emergency while I was traveling (that is, I didn't have a bottle). I liked that it didn't seem to dent as easily so I got another for school (since the Kleen Kanteen I have got so dented on the job that it wouldn't even stand up straight it was so dented). Then I got a third as a gift.

Then the BPA scandal. I was officially done. I had given them a chance and they failed. So, I took my three bottles to Sports Basement and they told me I could exchange them for three bottles of any brand that I desired. So three more Kleen Kanteens for me! At least Sports Basement knows how to take care of its customers.

2 comments:

Bec said...

Yeah, Sigg sucks. I had written them and asked them about their liners. Their customer service rep said, "Our liners are guaranteed 'leach free'". Not, "no BPA in our liners!" They lost me at avoidance.

ConcernedOne said...

Sigg took down the exchange program print out page down early! The swap is supposed to expire on Oct 31st, as I am writing this on Friday, Oct 30th. It's not even 8pm. So much for mailing it. Bad press, ope it continues. Haha, what now off to a SB.