Sunday, September 28, 2008

Uprising

Just watched Michael Moore's new film, "Slacker Uprising."  Moore is making the film available for free on his website or at iTunes (where you have to watch it within 24 hours of starting it).  If you agree with Moore's politics it's a little depressing.  The movie follows him as he tours over 60 cities in the battleground states of 2004 with the goal of getting young people to vote.  He does put quite a few opposers in front of the camera, with varying degrees of clarity about Moore.  I definitely admire Moore's passion and that he has been able to make a career of following his passions and talking to people about it.  Roseanne Barr's bit is too much for me personally but the best line of the movie is hers: "George Bush has deficit attention disorder."

It's a free movie, so I recommend it and do what you can to contribute to the voting process, whether it be helping register voters, working the polls, or talking to voters about the issues.  Something like 50% of eligible voters did not vote in 2000 and 40% did not in 2004.  Certainly, no one is required to vote, but it's just hard for me to understand the concept.  This election has inspired me to be better educated and informed for this election and those that follow.  There have been times when I've walked into the polls (for a local election) and the candidates were unknown to me.  Thinking about people in this country who don't vote for a president because they dont know enough or can't decide makes me feel uneasy and as a result, I feel uneasy about myself being unprepared to walk into the booth on any future election day.  I hope you'll join me in educating yourself so you are confident about every vote you make on November 4.

Voter registration deadlines are here:  rockthevote.com

No comments: