Monday, January 17, 2011

New Project?

Yeah, I know I don't blog very much anymore. Let's all pretend it's because I'm really busy living and amazing life. I won't argue.

I did get to Colorado this weekend, for my uncle's induction in a Hall of Fame. Before I left, Ali told me to take some pictures. I literally thought, "Oh, that's a good idea!" because I haven't taken a lot of pictures recently. So here they are.


I really like shadows or reflections of buildings on building, especially when there's a juxtaposition of style. Here is a church shadow on a modern parking garage.

I also totally love Capitol Buildings. When I get a glimpse of one when turning a corner, I have a similar reaction to when I unexpectedly see cows on a hillside.

I love the Mile High City. I had a tough time getting to Denver on Thursday night. Major delays at every point. I got to the 20th floor of our downtown hotel at 2:30am. But Friday was gorgeous and sunny and beautiful. My sister and I went for a walk and had an amazing lunch at Watercourse Foods. It was raw-ish, vegan-ish and some of the best food I've had in a while.

We made our way to the Denver Tech Center (what seems to be a neighborhood of hotels and such) for the Hall of Fame Induction. The centerpieces were cute...and tasty in hour five of the event.


On Saturday, Leah and I decided we had to hit up the usual spots. Coors' Tavern for a Slopper was first on the list. Jorge's made the agenda for Sunday.

Uncle Duv showed us around the ballpark complex that he manages. This is a pretty classic picture - Duv on the phone while driving. Multi-tasking to the max.

While I was sitting in the airport, waiting to board, I was all of the sudden being hugged by someone. I jumped about a mile in the air before realizing it was my boss. He was invited to speak at a fundraiser in Vail and happened to be on my flight on the way home. He's a Denver native, so he was happy to get some family time as well.

Right before we were about to take off, I was texting my ride with flight details (true to SFO, we were about 25 minutes late). His response back was: "Great. See you then. Also, after dinner, we're seeing Tron." Let me be clear that I did not want to see Tron. I texted back that I expected my ticket to be paid for. I got a big "nope" to that request. I also, was not excited about a late movie, given that I landed after 8pm.

But, when I got in the car, curbside, I was greeted by this little book.


While not originally intended to be a bribe, this book got me to agree to see Tron.
This book has a bit of background on letterpress and then photos from dozens and dozens of studios across the world that specialize in letterpress. The first words out of my mouth were, "Why isn't letterpress my job?"

So, a few things I want to do: go to as many of the shops in the book as possible and take an Introduction to Letterpress Notecards class at The Center for The Book in San Francisco.

Oh, and Tron was an entertaining movie. The music was done by Daft Punk and it was very fitting and Jeff Bridges doesn't disappoint. The movie was like a two-hour video game, which has its time and place. Seeing it the night before a Monday off from school was perfect.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Slopper? I want one...I think? Love the letter press book! And love even more you got roped into seeing Tron. :)