Sunday, November 7, 2010

Plus One

Things have been crazy around here. Not a lot of sleep is happening.

On Thursday night, I went to sleep at 8pm. I had no work to do and I was tired, so I just hit the hay. Of course, I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep. At 4am, getting back to sleep seemed hopeless, I got up and worked. I did my finances for a while and paid bills. Then at 5, I got up and got ready for work. I am rarely at work before 7am, so getting there at 5:30 was a bit nuts. Our building makes weird noises, so it's a scary thing to be there in the dark.

It was a weird Friday. I was at school for 12 hours. I taught 5 periods in a row and then during 6th period, spent most of it trying to deal with my mentee who decided to start forging signatures. Then after school meant...make-up tests, helping students apply to college, re-syncing the clocks for "fall back," a shmooze-fest with the important people at our school, dinner with my good friend from high school before he caught a plane, and a Stanford soccer game. It was just a crazy day. I had been looking forward to the soccer game for a month...the Stanford women are #1 in the country. This was going to be the only game I could go to. So, I went. But, my company (also my ride) was not interested in staying. We left at halftime. To put it mildly, I was irritated.

The next day, I get a text message from my friend, who said, "I know how I'm going to make it up to you for the soccer game. Get excited for Hyper Crush tonight. They go on at midnight and you're my plus one." Now I want to say that this is N, one of my closest friends. He knows me very well. He knows that things that start at midnight do not suit me. So my first question was: how many people said 'no' before he asked me? Apparently, I was his first choice. Lucky me. One of his best friends from high school is the tour manager and we're falling back an hour this weekend...so I went...after a nap.

I haven't been to a club...since Ali's bachelorette in 2006. The closest I get is a school dance. And N, unlike me, is not a dancer. At least, not if it's a joke. So, we went to see and support his friend. Because this was so not my scene. As we were driving up, I just kept saying, "I'm nervous, I'm nervous."

Here's a glimpse of what we were seeing:


The scene was pretty wild. Lots of girls in skimpy dresses and lots of 80's everything on stage (acid wash jeans, fade haircuts, old Reeboks, Gecko t-shirts). And there was lots of dancing among the club-goers that made me feel weird and that N and I had trouble not watching like a car wreck. But, Hyper Crush does their job well. They've got their thing going and they do it all out. It's not my kind of music, but it was kind of fun. We hung out with N's friend while waiting for the club to close. We helped him pack up the equipment and got a bite to eat.

Needless to say, it was a long night for me. And of course, I can't sleep past 8:30, so I'm on no sleep again. I need a nap.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I would have loved to see you two hittin' the club scene. I am hoping you can squeeze a nap in sometime soon. (I mean, when do teachers get the opportunity for naps?)

Miss ya!

bec said...

FUN! Hey, everyone needs a night at the club. We went to see Glitch Mob a while back with AJ and Mandy and although not our scene, it was effing amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImWuxHbQCw