Saturday, August 14, 2010

Thank G-d

Potentially I'll end my radio silence, or maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and check in here every so often.

What should I blog about? Grading AP exams, being a tourist at Alcatraz, the wedding of some former colleagues, my trip to the Galapagos, the wild rollercoaster of my employment status, my trip home including Newport Folk Festival and family reunion, starting school again, or my beautiful bike ride with my former mentee. So yeah, there's a backblog.

What am I going to blog about? The things I'm going to do instead of blogging. While I don't think I'll quit this thing completely, don't be surprised what happens. I have no idea how much I'm going to blog, but I do know that I've had little time to blog this summer (or little time that I wanted to blog).

I'm staying in California (in my mind, it'll be for the next three years at least), so the first order of business was making commitments to things I love, the things that make me happy. Here are those commitments:

Run 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week and feel like that is great!
Go to temple once a month
Write more letters – at least one/week
Do not be an Athletic Director
Running club in PA? Mon/Wed
Volunteer at Cycling events?
Reading – finish an average of one book a month
Friend stuff – do something YOLO-ish once per month...get outside, go to cool stuff, be with people
Cooking - do it more often, try new recipes, make lunch every day
Read the paper every day (at least enough to know what's going on in the world)
Crossword puzzle – attempt four times a week, including Sunday

There are things that aren't on here - anything about my job (I already know how to work really hard, so much so that I need to commit to working fewer hours) and cycling (I ride at least 40 miles per week to school anyway which is a good start). I have a few question marks, that I want to feel out, but I also want to make them public so that I remember to push myself on them.

The best thing that's happened to me recently is that I found a temple. It happened last night, actually. I haven't looked very hard for a temple out here and I think I've just assumed that I wouldn't find one replace TI in Boston, but last night, I honored a long-calendared commitment to go to temple. I went to a temple in SF that, like TI, holds a monthly late Shabbat service for young adults (which apparently I still am). I purposefully kept my expectations minimal, but even if I kept them high, I would have been pleased.

The service was so much like the Young Adult Shabbats in Boston. Similar vibe, similar spirituality, and just as packed, if not more so. And on the way out, I ran into a girl who I went to college with. She told me how she always wants to come more often...maybe that's something we can do together.

As I drove home, I thought about the rabbi's sermon (about finding "the place of your soul"). I am pretty sure I know where that place is for me and so far, I haven't found something to match it on this coast. I don't think I've been open to finding something like that place here. So, that's what the next year is about. Doing what makes me happy and at peace with the world...to balance all the working I'll be doing. Here goes!

3 comments:

Amy said...

great plan! it sounds like you have had a wonderful summer i hope you check in with the blog every once in a while - i've enjoyed reading.

Ali said...

There is such a sense of renewed energy in your post. You sound more grounded than ever, and I am excited to see all of these fun things materialize over the next year!

Bec said...

LOVE IT!